Ten years later, the 1901 census showed that Tonyrefail's population had increased to over 2,200 and that the number employed in the coalmines was around 500. Despite some of the village's deep mines closing during the first decade of the twentieth century, the number of miners continued to grow as a result of the expansion of Coed-Ely Colliery sunk in 1901. The colliery was located some two miles to the south of the village, and by 1919, employed a total of 1,700 miners making the complex by far the biggest colliery of the area. The colliery was also equipped with both coke ovens and a complete by-product plant. Naturally, Tonyrefail village continued to expand during the first decade as Pretoria Road, The Avenue, and Prichard Street were built. The first decade also witnessed a period of modernisation and commercial expansion. Kelly's Trade Directory 1906 lists both the Tonyrefail & Gilfach Goch Electric Light Co. Lim., the company responsible for laying electric mains, and Richard Lewis, manager of the Lloyd Bank Branch. An exciting leisure attraction that opened above the Square in 1914 and shown on the 25 inches to 1 mile third edition Ordnance Survey map surveyed in the same year, was the Picture Theatre.